Servings: 8 servings
Warm up on a cold day with a hearty bowl of spicy vegetarian soup. Serve with a side of bread and a simple green salad for a well-balanced meal.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil, preferably peanut
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground cumin, turmeric and smoked paprika
- ½ tsp (1 mL) hot chili flakes
- 1½ cups (375 mL) dried red lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 small potato, peeled and diced
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) peanut butter
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cartons (900 mL) chicken or vegetable broth, preferably low sodium, (8 cups / 2 L)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, turmeric, paprika and chili flakes. Cook just until garlic is tender, about 30 seconds. Turn into slow cooker.
- Add lentils, potato, peanut butter and parsley. Stir; add broth. Cover slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Add lemon juice, and season with additional salt and chili flakes to taste.
- 270 calories,
- 9 g fat (1.5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat),
- 0 mg cholesterol,
- 17 g protein,
- 33 g carbohydrate,
- 10 g fibre,
- 4 g sugar,
- 270 mg sodium
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!