Servings: 6 servings
- 2 lbs (900 g) butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 firm but ripe Anjou or Bartlett USA Pears, halved lengthwise and cored
- 4 cups (1 L) low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup (125 mL) heavy whipping cream
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp (30 mL) sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) cubed French bread (½ inch/1 cm cubes)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Brush the flesh of the squash and pears with olive oil and place cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast 30 to 35 minutes or until tender.
- Scrape out the flesh of the squash and pears with a spoon and put in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Discard the skins. Purée until smooth. Add 1 to 2 cups (250 to 500 mL) chicken broth and continue processing until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a saucepan; add the remaining chicken broth, cream, nutmeg, and sugar. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To make croutons, place bread cubes in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the olive oil over, add Parmesan, and toss until coated. Spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 10 to 12 minutes until toasty brown.
- To serve, ladle the soup into individual soup bowls and garnish with croutons.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!