Sweet Potato, Bacon and Grape Salad
- 8 servings
- 2 pounds (about 1 kg) sweet potatoes or yams, cooked, peeled and diced
- 4 cups (about 1 litre) loosely packed kale, stems removed, torn into bite-sized pieces, blanched, cooled and squeezed dry
- 6 slices bacon cut into lardons
- 1 cup (250 ml) sliced onion
- 1 cup (250 ml) red or black California seedless grapes, halved
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sherry vinegar (or substitute apple cider vinegar)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) orange juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable or olive oil
- good dash Tabasco sauce
- To taste salt and freshly ground black pepper
This is a gluten-free, paleo and dairy-free recipe.
Calories 378; Protein 5 g; Carbohydrate 37 g; Fat 24 g; Saturated Fat 5.5 g; 56% Calories from Fat ; Cholesterol 11 mg; Sodium 302 mg; Fiber 3 g.
In a large bowl, combine the diced sweet potatoes and the blanched kale.
In a large skillet, fry the bacon until it is brown and crisp. Drain out all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease.
Fry the onion with the bacon until the onion is golden brown and tender, about 3-4 minutes.
Pour this onto the potatoes and kale mixture. Fold in grapes.
Deglaze the skillet with the vinegar, orange juice, oil, Tabasco, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the potato salad and fold in, taking care not to mash the potatoes.