Servings: 8 servings
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) shelled Wonderful Pistachios Roasted & Salted
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped (2 ½ cups/ 625 ml)
- 6 ½ cups (about 1625 ml) butternut squash, peeled and chopped (each squash about 2 ¼ lbs/1 kg)
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml)+ ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml)+ group allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml)+ cayenne
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon (4 ml) ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon (4 ml) ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml)+ cracked black pepper
- 4 cups (1000 ml) low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) honey
- ¼ cup (60 ml) pomegranate arils
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and add chopped onions. Sauté for about 5 minutes until translucent. Add squash and ½ cup (125 ml) of Wonderful Pistachios then sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Combine all of the spices, salt, and pepper in a small bowl for spice mixture. Set aside.
- Stir 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of spice mixture into the squash and onions, and cook for 3 minutes. Add chicken or vegetable broth to large pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes until squash is tender.
- Stir 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of the spice mixture and honey in a small pan over medium-high heat. Cook for about 1 minute until honey is foamy then stir in 1 cup (250 ml) Wonderful Pistachios to coat the nuts. Spread coated Wonderful Pistachios on a parchment-lined pan to cool.
- Transfer soup to a blender and blend until very smooth. Serve soup immediately topped with the spiced Wonderful Pistachios and pomegranate arils. Return soup to the pot to keep warm unless serving immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!