Servings: 18 buns
- 1 Cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 Cup warm water (110°F to 115°F)
- 4 Cups flour
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Cup California raisins or Zante currants
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 egg yolk, diluted with 1 teaspoon water for topping
- Lemon Icing below
- Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon water; beat until smooth.
- Scald milk; stir in butter and cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Sift flour with sugar, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in raisins until well coated. Stir in eggs, cooled milk and yeast; blend well.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough, pinch off pieces, and form smooth, rounded balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Place balls of dough on greased baking sheet about 2-inches apart. Brush each bun with diluted egg yolk.
- Snip 1/2-inch deep cross in center of each bun with greased scissors. Let buns rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400°F for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks about 5 minutes. Drizzle icing on the cross.
Yield: 18 buns | Serves: 18 Nutrition Facts Per Serving Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 12%); Total Fat 3 ( Saturated Fat 1; Trans Fat 0; ); Cholesterol 35; Sodium 160; Potassium 173; Total Carbohydrate 39; Dietary Fiber 2; Sugars 16; Protein 5; Calcium 31; Iron 2;
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!