Servings: 6 servings
Northwest Cherry Grower
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) milk
- 6 eggs
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) maple syrup
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp (30 mL) grated orange peel
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) salt
- 8 slices French bread, approximately 4 ½ x 3 ½ x ½ inch (11.5 x 9 x 1 cm)
- 4 cups (1 L) pitted Northwest fresh sweet cherries, halved
- ½ cup (125 mL) orange juice
- Vanilla yogurt, for serving
- Combine milk, eggs, maple syrup, 2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar, orange peel, and salt; mix well. Pour half of mixture into each of two 9-inch square (2.5 L) baking dishes. Dip both sides of each slice of bread in milk mixture and arrange dipped slices in the two baking dishes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Marinate cherries in orange juice and remaining 1 tbsp (30 mL) sugar overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C) and butter a non-stick baking sheet. Carefully transfer slices to prepared baking sheet using a large spatula, allowing excess liquid to drip back into the pan used for overnight soaking.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, turning slices over halfway through baking time.
- Top each slice with ½ cup (125 mL) of cherries and a dollop of vanilla yogurt. Serve immediately.
- 297 calories,
- 10.2 g protein,
- 7.3 g fat (22% calories from fat),
- 49.3 g carbohydrates,
- 168 mg cholesterol,
- 2.8 g fibre,
- 292 mg sodium.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!